Certificate in Mental Health
Certificate in Mental Health (15-credits)
The application of ABA to mental health is an area with great potential for the field and for the issues facing society. This concentration enables practitioners to learn the procedures best suited to helping this population to maximize their skill development and reduce the extent to which their challenges interfere with their ability to cope. Special attention is given to evidence-based intervention and to attending to issues in self-management and quality of life.
Curriculum Requirements - Total Credits Required: 15
ABA 503 - Collaboration in Mental Health Settings (Cr: 3)
ABA 504 - Skill Building for Adults with Psychiatric Disorders (Cr: 3)
ABA 522 - Treatment of Severely Challenging Behavior (Cr: 3)
ABA 523 - Intro to ABA and Psychiatric Disorders (Cr: 3)
ABA 524 - Variations and Applications of Functional Analysis Procedures (Cr: 3)
Upon completion of this program, students will:
- Critique alternative approaches to understanding behavior associated with mental health.
- Value all aspects of human behavior including private events.
- Interpret the learning, behavioral, communication, and social characteristics of individuals with mental health disorders.
- Design effective function-based treatments for challenging behavior based on state of the art ABA assessment techniques for individuals with mental health disorders
- Support treatment decisions using existing empirical evidence
- Design individual behavior treatments including behavior reduction and skill acquisition programming
- Demonstrate an understanding of the emotional, behavioral, social, and environmental aspects of mental health disorders and how behavior analysis can be applied to mitigate these issues and improve quality of life.
- Differentiate levels of evidence for approaches within and outside of ABA.
- Weigh courses of action given clinical scenarios.
- Create systems for the provision of performance based feedback in supervision and training contexts.
View academic catalog and learning outcomes
- ABA 503 - Collaboration in Mental Health Settings (Cr: 3)