We have a responsibility to the environment and to our students to incorporate sustainable practices on campus and to broaden students' engagement and experience.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
Sustainable Endicott is a College-wide effort to embrace environmental sustainability in our scholarship and operations. The Office of Sustainability works to reduce the College's environmental footprint by engaging with campus operations, courses, student groups, and external audiences to increase understanding of environmental problems and help find pragmatic, timely, and effective solutions.
Our commitment to sustainability includes:
- A College-wide sustainability committee
- Campus action to reduce waste and increase efficiency
- Coursework in sustainability applicable to a variety of majors
- Opportunities for students and others to get involved
Exemplary Sustainability Rating
In 2016 we earned a Silver Rating through the Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System (STARS), administered by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. We strive for continuous improvement, and our next goal is to achieve a STARS Gold rating.
We were also recognized as one of the Princeton Review’s 2017 Green Colleges.
Endicott uses its purchasing power to reduce environmental impacts on and off campus. Among the initiatives are the purchases of:
- LED lamps
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative certified copy paper
- Green Seal certified paper towels
- Green Seal certified toilet tissue
- Green Seal certification for some cleaning products
- Biodegradable supplies for some automobile repair products
- FSC certified paper and soy inks for College publications
Sustainability on Campus
We have one of the largest solar canopy parking lots in the Northeast. Our recycling and waste management plan diverts 60 percent of materials from the waste stream each year. An on-campus vegetable garden provides fresh produce for our dining hall. These are just a few of the examples of how we have made sustainability part of everyday life at Endicott.