In addition to the general laptop requirements, incoming graphic design and photography students have specific requirements for their programs.
Visual Communications requirement= Macbook Pro
Graphic design and photography students are required to purchase an Apple Macbook Pro laptop computer with the following specifications for 2020*:
- 16” (diagonal) LED- backlit display with IPS Technology; 3072 x 1920 native resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
- 2.3GHZ 8-core Intel Core i9, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz, with 16MB shared L3 cache
- 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 onboard memory
- 1TB SSD (solid state drive)
- Radeon Pro 5500 with 8GB GDDR6 memory and automatic graphics switching, Intel HD 630
- Built-in battery (8 hours)
*Please note that Apple will often upgrade some of these specs as new models are released.
Note: Apple has released its new M1 chip in a select number of Mac models, including the 13” Macbook Air. The M1 is a faster chip that would make the Mac’s performance even better. To date, Apple has not announced a release date for the M1 chip for the 16” Macbook Pro. We don’t know if the M1 will even be released for the 16” Macbook Pro in time for the fall 2021 semester.
The current 16” Macbook Pro offered on the Micros Northeast purchase website (link below) meets or exceeds all the specs recommended for the Photography and Visual Communications programs but does not have the M1 chip. It is available now for purchase or you can choose to wait and see if the M1 chip is released for the 16” Macbook Pro in time for the FA21 semester. There are no guarantees when or if that will be, but we wanted to give you all the information we have to help you in your purchase decision.
Hard Drives and Storage
Hard drives for use in the Mac labs and for working with large files: We recommend a portable hard drive of at least 1 Terabytes. The interface should be USB-C/ Thunderbolt 3
- Samsung 1 Terabyte T5 portable Solid State Drive
Backup: A cloud-based backup service such as Backblaze.com or a standalone USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 hard drive of at least 2 TB for an Apple Time Machine backup of your laptop are recommended and will serve to protect and preserve data.
Media card readers for photo transfers:
MacBook Pro computers no longer have a media card reader for transferring photographs on to your computer. If you are purchasing one, we recommend the following media card reader: Apple USB Type C to SD Card Reader (Note: This card reader is for the most common type of media card. If you have a different type of media card such as a CF Card you will need a different media card reader)
- Adobe Creative Cloud for Students (Mac)
- Microsoft Office 365 for Students (Mac)* (Note: Endicott provides this software for free while you are at Endicott. You will be able to download this.).
Recommended Additional Warranty (included in college purchase package)
- AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro