In addition to the general laptop requirements, incoming graphic design and photography students have specific requirements for their programs.
Visual Communications requirement= Macbook Pro
Graphic design and photography students are required to purchase an Apple Macbook Pro laptop computer with the following minimum* specifications for 2022:
- M1 processor chip
- 10 core CPU
- 16 core GPU
- 16GB Unified Memory
- 1TB SSD Storage
- 16-core Neural Engine
- 16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display
- Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot, MagSafe 3 port
- Magic Keyboard with Touch ID
- Force Touch trackpad
- 140W USB-C Power Adapter
*Please note that Apple will often upgrade some of these specs as new models are released. The current 16” Macbook Pro offered on the Micros Northeast purchase website (link below) meets or exceeds all the specs recommended for the Photography and Visual Communications programs.
Hard Drives and Storage
Hard drives for use in the Mac labs and for working with large files: We recommend a portable hard drive of at least 1 Terabytes. The interface should be USB-C/ Thunderbolt 3
- Samsung 1 Terabyte T5 portable Solid State Drive
Backup: A cloud-based backup service such as Backblaze.com or a standalone USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 hard drive of at least 2 TB for an Apple Time Machine backup of your laptop are recommended and will serve to protect and preserve data.
Media card readers for photo transfers:
MacBook Pro computers no longer have a media card reader for transferring photographs on to your computer. If you are purchasing one, we recommend the following media card reader: Apple USB Type C to SD Card Reader (Note: This card reader is for the most common type of media card. If you have a different type of media card such as a CF Card you will need a different media card reader)
- Adobe Creative Cloud for Students (Mac)
- Microsoft Office 365 for Students (Mac)* (Note: Endicott provides this software for free to all current undergraduate students. You will be able to download this.).
Recommended Additional Warranty (included in college purchase package)
- AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro