In addition to the general laptop requirements, incoming Business students have specific requirements for their program. These requirements also apply to students in majors which require accounting coursework.
Business students should review all the general laptop requirements before reviewing special program requirements.
Business Requirements= PC (Windows) laptop
The following requirements are for business majors, as well as sport management, hospitality and applied math with actuarial science concentration majors, all of which are required to take business accounting classes as part of their requirements.
New Windows System
- Intel Core i5 Dual-core 2.50 GHz
- Windows 10
- 8GB RAM minimum
- 500 GB Hard Drive or 256 SSD (solid state drive)
- Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
- Accidental Damage plan
Note on Macs
Although we are providing the Macbook minimum specs for students who are Mac users, the School of Business strongly recommends all Business majors have a PC (Windows) laptop for their academic work.New Mac System*
- 13" MacBook Air or Pro
- 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
- 8 GB memory
- 256 GB PCIe-based flash based storage*
- Apple Care Protection Plan
*All Macbooks manufactured in the last few years have an Intel processor and can therefore be dual booted into Windows. Therefore all students enrolled in The School of Business who have Macbooks are required to have Windows 10 installed, and another application such as Boot Camp (comes free with Macbooks) or Parallels, in order to use their Mac as a Windows laptop. *Note: If you are considering the purchase of a MacBook Air computer it MUST have a minimum of 256 GB PCIe-based flash storage.
Microsoft Office for Windows* (must have MS Access)
- Business and accounting students are required to have either Microsoft Office Professional 2016 for Windows or a subscription to Microsoft Office 365 that has the MS Access database application.
- Macbook users are required to have Microsoft Office 365 for Windows. The Mac version is not acceptable as a substitute.
- Business majors are required to have an adapter that fits your laptop's graphics display output to HDMI female (preferably 6"-8" long)
- A printer is strongly recommended to print personal material for courses and assignments; we recommend an inexpensive inkjet printer (HP or similar)
- Students will be informed of other required software applications on a course by course basis.