Skip to main content

Before You Arrive

Arrival Date and Travel Arrangements

All international students must plan to move into their residence halls on Arrival Day: Wednesday, August 23, 2023. Students who confirm their arrival plans with the Office of International Education will be greeted by an Endicott College Global Ambassador when they arrive at Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) and then transported to the College campus. If circumstances require you to arrive on campus before Arrival Day, please inform our office immediately.

Required Documents

Students who have obtained an F-1 or J-1 visa must travel with their passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019 form, and SEVIS Fee payment receipt in their carry-on bags. These documents will be required to enter the United States at the Port of Entry. It is recommended that students carry all documents used to issue their student visa along with them during their travel to the United States. Customs and Border Patrol has the right to ask a student for any additional documentation as they see fit, such as proof of financial support or admission to Endicott College.

Booking Round-trip Travel

All international students must book a round-trip ticket for both their arrival to the United States and return flight to their country of origin. Please refer to the Academic Calendar and plan your departure from the United States no earlier than the evening on the last day of final exams. All students must depart campus by 6 p.m.

Health Records

All new students must complete and submit Endicott College Health Forms and Immunization Records to the Health Center prior to arriving on campus. All students twenty-one years of age or younger and living in campus housing must have had a dose of the quadrivalent meningococcal vaccine within the past five years or must submit a signed Meningococcal Waiver with their health form. Any student failing to do so will be prohibited from living on campus or attending classes.

Health Insurance

The State of Massachusetts has strict healthcare coverage regulations for students enrolled full-time at independent and public universities. Endicott is required to automatically enroll ALL of our full-time students in the Endicott College Student Health Insurance Plan (EC SHIP) by default. International students are not eligible to waive this coverage.

Healthcare costs in the U.S. are very high, and the EC SHIP provides an affordable group plan that ensures our international students have access to medical care that is in compliance with Massachusetts state (Mass State) law. Health insurance plans not filed and approved in the U.S., as well as travel insurance/short-duration plans, do not comply with Mass State law. Typically, the only health insurance plans deemed comparable to the EC SHIP are U.S. employer-sponsored plans, U.S. government-sponsored plans, and embassy-sponsored plans.

Please note: The EC SHIP plan meets the U.S. Department of State's Exchange Visitor Program health insurance requirements for J-1 visa holders.

Supplies You Should Bring

A checklist of suggested supplies can be found on the Student Life What to Bring page. In the United States, most colleges have beds that are “Extra Long Twin” sized and require special sheets that are 99 x 203 cm. These can be ordered online and shipped to your attention or purchased upon arrival.

Visa Questions

All new international students will attend a cultural adjustment and U.S. immigration information session. This session is required for students holding F-1 or J-1 visas and will cover rules and regulations for maintaining lawful status in the United States while attending Endicott College. This session will also help you understand your rights and responsibilities as an international student, including options to work in the United States both during and after completion of your studies.

Arrival at Endicott College and Orientation

When you arrive on campus on Wednesday, August 23, you will be greeted and welcomed by the staff of the Office of International Education and our Global Ambassadors. Please present your passport and other immigration documents to the Office of International Education to be copied for College records. If you are living on campus, you will receive your room key at this time and our Global Ambassadors help you bring your belongings to your residence hall.

Pre-Orientation for New International Students

All new international students will participate in the mandatory pre-orientation program prior to the start of the regular New Student Orientation. A detailed orientation schedule will be emailed to all new international students prior to their arrival at Endicott College.

Bank Accounts

We strongly encourage all students to have a bank account. A full-service ATM operated by Bank of America is located next to the Public Safety office and is available 24 hours a day. Please make sure you have at least $25.00 USD in cash funds to open a new account. Be aware that students with accounts other than Bank of America will be charged a nominal fee to utilize the ATM machine on campus.

Mobile Phones

You will have the opportunity purchase a U.S. SIM card or mobile phone during pre-orientation.  We recommend selecting a no-contract, pay-as-you-go phone service. You will need funds to activate your service.

Gull Card (Endicott ID card)

The Gull Card is an Endicott student’s identification card, dining card, and library card on campus. You will be asked to submit a digital photo of yourself prior to your arrival, and you will receive your Gull Card from the Office of International Education when you check in on arrival day. Be sure to will show your Gull card every day!

Obtaining a Visa and Entering the United States

Please review the following procedures carefully.

  • 1. Receiving Form I-20 or DS-2019

    SEVIS Form I-20 for F-1 visa students (or SEVIS form DS-2019 for J-1 students) is the official Unites States Citizenship and Immigration Services document on which the College has certified that you have been admitted for the purpose of enrolling in full-time study toward a degree. With this document, you are now able to apply for an F-1 or J-1 student visa.

    In order to be issued an I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to submit 1) the International Certification for Immigration Requirements form; 2) a bank statement showing sufficient funds for one full year of academic study; and 3), a copy of your passport.

    Once you have received your I-20 or DS-2019, check all the information to make sure it is correct. Print your name, sign and date the I-20 or DS-2019 on page 1. By signing, you are agreeing to abide by the conditions of F-1 of J-1 student status (see page 3 of the I-20 or page 2 DS-2019)

  • 2. Applying for a Visa

    You will now need to apply for an F-1 or J-1 student visa. Each country is different, so please inquire with your local United States. Embassy about your specific requirements. Please make sure to apply for your visa at least three months before you plan to arrive in the United States. You will need to provide the United States Consulate with the following materials plus anything else that your specific country requires:

    • Receipt for SEVIS fee payment (Pay the SEVIS fee online at and print the receipt upon payment.)
    • SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019
    • Valid passport (which is valid at least six months in to the future from the date you plan to enter the U.S.)
    • Financial documents [i.e., letters from your bank, copies of income tax returns (if any) that will help prove you have enough money, either by personal or parental resources, to live in the United States without having to work. Some consulates require an Affidavit of Support.]
    • Letter of admission from school
    • A completed application for an F-1 or J-1 visa provided by the Consulate.
  • 3. Entering the United States

    You must have your I-20 or DS-2019 AND an F-1 or J-1 visa in your passport before entering the United States. DO NOT ENTER the United States as a "Temporary Visitor" with a B-1/B-2 visa OR under the "Visa Waiver Program." If you do, you will be required by law to return home and re-enter the United States in F-1 or J-1 student status before you can enroll in classes. When you arrive in the United States, you must present to the immigration officer:

    • Valid passport with valid F-1 or J-1 visa
    • The SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019
    • SEVIS Fee payment receipt
    • I-94 form (only if you are making a land border crossing)
    • Any other requested information such as financial documents or admission letter

    After examining your passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019, and any other requested document, the officer will return your passport, your I-20 or DS-2019 form, and the I-94 admission record (only at land border checkpoints). The I-94 record and I-20 or DS-2019 Form are important documents. DO NOT LOSE THEM.

  • 4. Arriving at Endicott College

    Upon arrival at Endicott, you will be required to present your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94 admission record to the Office of International Education during orientation. If you entered the United States through an air or seaport, you can retrieve and print your I-94 record using the following link:

    Note: Even though Endicott College has issued you an I-20 or DS-2019, this does not mean that you will automatically be given a visa or be permitted to enter the United States. Please be sure that you fill out all applications and documents completely and accurately, and that you supply all required information to consular and port authorities. If you have questions, please contact us at the Office of International Education.