Skip to main content

Veteran Certifications

If you are a veteran student seeking to utilize Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits for the first time, you must first complete an application (VA Form 22-1990) with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Applications must be submitted online. If you do not have access to apply online, please call 1-888-442-4551 and ask that the application (VA Form 22-1990) be mailed to you.

Upon submission of the 22-1990 form to the VA, you will receive a Certification of Eligibility (COE) which must be sent to the school certifying official. At Endicott College, the VA Certifying Official resides in the Bursar's Office. You may contact Susan Abate, Associate Bursar/VA School Certifying Official at or 978-232-2053 with inquiries regarding chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, & 1607 certifications.

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

COEs may be submitted to the certifying official in person, by fax, or by email.

  • In person: Bursar's Office, Samuel C. Wax Academic Center, Room 342
  • Fax: 978-232-3000

Yellow Ribbon

Students under chapter 33 may qualify for Yellow Ribbon benefits. Endicott College agreement provides a grant of up to $5,333 per academic year for each student. Endicott matches the amount of the VA benefit until the benefit is exhausted for each student. Once the VA benefit has expired or been exhausted then the Endicott College Yellow Ribbon grant will be adjusted to reflect the amount that is remaining on the benefit. 

Transfer of Entitlement (ToE)

The Department of Defense (DoD) offers members of the Armed Forces the opportunity to transfer Chapter 33 benefits to their spouse or dependent children. If a member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve) serves six years and reenlists for four more years or has at least 10 years of service, then ToE is possible. Information and requirements about transferability can be found on the VA Benefits website.


  1. Go to and click on the “Transfer of Entitlement” link.
    • The service member (transferor) must transfer the entitlement.
  2. Once approved, the spouse or child (transferee) must apply for benefits (VA form 22-1990).
  3. The VA will provide the Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
  4. The student (transferee) must submit the COE as stipulated above (see certificate of Eligibility).

Dependents’ Educational Assistance

A child or a spouse of Veterans who have a service connected permanent or total disability or died as a result of service connection, may qualify for Educational Assistance benefits. For information on Dependents Educational Assistance please visit this page.

The Fry Scholarship

This is a benefit under Chapter 33 for dependents of active duty members of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. An information sheet about the Fry Scholarship is available here.

Eligible Children (Effective August 1, 2009):

  • May be married or over 23 and still be eligible
  • Are entitled to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level
  • Have 15 years to use the benefit beginning on their 18th birthday
  • May use their benefit until their 33rd birthday
  • Are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program

Eligible Spouse (Effective January 1, 2015):

Are entitled to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level

  • Have 15 years to use the benefit beginning on the date of the Service member’s death
  • Lose eligibility if they remarry
  • Must make an irrevocable election of which benefit he or she wishes to receive for any and all enrollments beginning after January 1, 2014, if eligible for both Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) and Fry Scholarship benefits

Portions of the above have been excerpted from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official Handbook.