M.S. in Sport Leadership (39 Credits)
100% online, on your schedule
We believe that learning leads to personal growth, and relationship building helps blaze a successful trail to dynamic opportunities in the sport industry. With a focus on sport management and administration; and current trends in the sport industry, you’ll gain a solid foundation to pursue careers at schools, colleges, and universities; non-profit organizations and businesses; sport fitness and wellness facilities; recreation department and state parks; and sport governing bodies.
Our expert faculty and advisory board include leaders from MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA, secondary and higher education, the Olympics, recognized sports foundations, and more.
- 39-credit program perfect for working professionals
- Flexible four- to six-week courses
- Networking opportunities
- Personal advising and
- Job placement support: 95% of our graduates scored a job in the sports industry
- Affordable tuition
- No GRE required
Become a leader in sports and recreation.
All candidates must apply online at: endicott.edu/admission/information-for-graduate-students/apply
Applicants should submit the following to Graduate Admissions, Endicott College, 376 Hale Street, Beverly, MA 01915
- Non-refundable $50.00 application fee (check made payable to Endicott College, cash or online) Application fee waived for veteran and military students;
- Two letters of recommendation (one academic reference and one professional reference);
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary academic work sent directly from the institution(s) including confirmation of undergraduate degree, date confirmed, and any other graduate work;
- Essay of 250-500 words on career goals and motivation for graduate study;
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for all students whose native language is not English; minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 79 (iBT) is required. The institutional code for Endicott College is 3369. Endicott also accepts an IELTS score of 6.0 or better;
- Interview with the program director
- All admissions requirements must be satisfied in order to be formally accepted in a degree program. Students must be formally admitted to a program before the completion of six Endicott credits.
International Applicants for Graduate Admission
Endicott College welcomes and encourages applicants from around the world. International applicants are required to hold a college or university degree equivalent to a four-year American baccalaureate degree. Educational documents in a foreign language are required to be translated into English. All transcripts and translations of transcripts must be official originals and must show courses completed, grades received, grading scale, duration of study, degree or diploma received, and the date conferred. Endicott College reserves the right to request verification of the credentials by an external agency.
International applicants must submit current TOEFL scores when their native language is not English or when their baccalaureate transcript is not from an institution where English is the language of instruction. Once students have been admitted as degree candidates, Endicott College will send detailed instructions about the process for acquiring an Endicott-sponsored student visa.
Program of Study
Upon completion of this program, students will:
- Investigate the interrelationship between sport, culture, and society through a sport leader's
- Interpret and analyze the role and responsibilities of human resources, finance, governance, compliance, risk management, operations, technology, and the management, planning, organization, and administration in the sport industry
- Distinguish between key aspects of various careers within the sport industry and how an effective leader approaches decision making in these dynamic environments
- Identify and evaluate career options in the sport industry, formulate transferable skills, construct a job search strategy, resume, LinkedIn profile and cover letter.
Required CurriculumSLD 501 - Contemporary Issues in SportSLD 505 - Strategic Management and Leadership in Athletic AdministrationSLD 507 - Preparing for a Career in SportSLD 511 - Sport Marketing and MediaSLD 560 - Financial Resources ManagementSLD 521 - Sport Law and Risk ManagementSLD 580 - Facilities Planning in SportSLD 586 - Event Planning and ProgrammingSLD 571 - The Impact of Technology in SportSLD 599 - Comprehensive Seminar in Athletic AdministrationORSLD 588A - Sport Management Practicum
SLD Elective #1 - 3 cr.
SLD Elective #2 - 3 cr.
SLD Elective #3 - 3 cr.
Total Degree Requirements - 39 credits
View academic catalog and learning outcomes
Internships and Careers
A master’s degree in sport leadership from Endicott College is your ticket to a rewarding career. We are dedicated to our students’ success and help them find exciting internships or job opportunities.
Sport Leadership students and alumni work in a variety of sport-related industries such as:
- Anglo-American School of Moscow
- Burlington, Mass. Parks & Recreation
- Cambridge, Mass. Public Schools
- Edge Sports Group/ESG Associates
- Endicott College
- Good Sports, Inc.
- International School of Beijing
- Johns Hopkins University
- Learfield Sports
- Premier Hoops
- Massachusetts Department of Youth Services
- National Football League (NFL)
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
- New Hampshire Fisher Cats (MLB Double-A Affiliate)
- St. John’s Prep, Danvers, Mass.
- University of New Hampshire
With our affordable and accelerated graduate program, you'll become a skilled leader in the sports industry sooner than you think.
Jeff EllisonJeff Ellison, head football coach of the Permian Panthers
Born and raised in West Texas, Jeff Ellison grew up on the football field. Ellison played college football for McMurry University, where he later began his coaching career in 2002 as a student assistant for the McMurry Indians, now called the War Hawks. He moved on to become the assistant coach at Lubbock Estacado High School. After receiving his master’s degree, he continued on to work with Breckenridge High School, Pilot Point High School, and to Galena Park North Shore High School, where he spent seven seasons as the offensive line coach. In 2013, Ellison joined Permian High School as the offensive coordinator before becoming the assistant head coach and offensive line coach. After five years with the Permian Panthers, Ellison was promoted to head coach in August of 2018. Ellison teaches Successful Coaching (SLD 553).
Photo via Janice Murrell
The Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) is a specialized accrediting body whose purpose is to promote and recognize excellence in sport management education worldwide in colleges and universities at the baccalaureate and graduate levels.
The following degree programs at Endicott College have received specialized accreditation through the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation located in Fort Collins, Colo.:
- Bachelor of Science in Sport Management
- Master of Science in Sport Leadership