Dr. Joyce Shaw is a Professor of Biology. She is a licensed Physical Therapist, a certified Personal Trainer, strength and conditioning specialist, and a certified senior fitness specialist. Her physical therapy practice includes time spent in Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and Haiti. She is a member of the pre-health advising committee and a founder and adviser for the Phi Sigma Biological Sciences Honor Society.
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Master of Science in Physical Therapy
University of New Hampshire
Bachelor of Science in Biology
Her research interests also include incorporating technology into her classes and promoting health and fitness. In 2010 she received a grant from the National Science Foundation to examine the effectiveness of technology in science education. Her work has been published by the BioSciEd Network, Journal of Microbiology, and Biology Education, and the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science of the University of Buffalo.
CoursesHuman Anatomy and Physiology I and II
Microbiology for Health Professionals
- American Society for Microbiology Biology Scholar in Residence 2006 (Facilitator/Leader for ASM Scholars Program 2007, 2008, 2011)
- BioSciEd Network (BEN) Scholar, National Science Digital Library and National Science Foundation, 2008
- Davis Grant Endicott College, Critical Thinking Task Force 2014-2016
- Endicott College, Faculty Tech Scholar, Endicott College 2014-2015
- Member Phi Beta Kappa
- National Science Foundation Grant 2010, RCN-UBE, "Planning a Research Network on Assessing Learning Technologies in Undergraduate Biology Education”
- Shaw, J., Almeida, M. (2018). Does the Quality of Student Crib Cards Influence Anatomy and Physiology Exam Performance? Human Anatomy and Physiology Society Educator, Spring 2018.
- Shaw, J., Bean, A., & Humphries, M. (2015). The Role of Exercise Perception in Daily Physical Activity, Human Anatomy and Physiology Society Educator, Winter 2015.
- Shaw, J. (2012). Using Small Group Debates to Actively Engage Students in an Introductory Microbiology Course. Journal of Biology and Microbiology Education,13:2, 2012.