Sara Johnson Allen`s academic interests include the creative process, fostering creativity in the classroom, creative expression in digital forms, the use of digital portfolios for student self-expression, and professional development. She engages in research on the role communities and physical space play in the creative process and using service learning in the classroom to foster personal growth and civic engagement.
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
Bachelor of Arts in Integrative Studies: Communication
Media and Culture II
Creative Portfolio Development
Social Media Marketing
- January 2018: Awarded the 2018 Marianne Russo Award for Emerging Writers by the Key West Literary Seminar for a novel-in-progress.
- January 2019: Awarded a 2019 Elizabeth George Foundation artist’s grant.
- April 2019: Received first prize in the Stockholm Writers Festival First Pages Prize.
- October 2018: Awarded an Honorable Mention in the Very Short Fiction Contest at Glimmer Train.
- November 2018: MacDowell Colony Fellow during the Fall 2018 residency period.
- June 2018: Co-directed the fourth annual L’ATELIER Writers Retreat and Workshop in the Loire Valley in France.
- April 2019: Panelist on discussion “Weird and Wonderful Ways to Publication” at the Stockholm Writers Festival.
- October 2018: Presented conference sessions “Defining Your Identity as a Writer: Using the Artist`s Toolbox to Articulate Your Vision” and “The Power of Mixing Media: Adding texture and originality to your writing” at the L’ATELIER Writers Boston Intensive.
- June 2019: Co-directed the fifth annual L’ATELIER Writers Retreat and Workshop in the Loire Valley in France.
- Allen, S.J. (2019) The Pastor and His Good Daughters. The Eunoia Review.
- Allen, S.J. (2018) The Reader in the Square. SmokeLong Quarterly.
- Allen, S.J. (2017) Tonight in San Pedro. The Bangalore Review.