Links and Contacts

Employment & Taxes


Please refer to Internships


As an F-1 student currently enrolled at Endicott College, you are eligible to work for pay in the U.S. only in limited circumstances, as follows:

On-Campus Employment: Upon arrival at Endicott College, all F-1 students are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session and full-time during semester breaks and summer vacation. On-campus positions for which F-1 students are eligible (this is, jobs that are not federally funded work study jobs) are very limited. Check for positions at the Copy Center, Bookstore, and in Dining Services.

Off-Campus Work Permission Categories:

1. CPT for Internships

2.OPT- Please refer to Graduating Students

3. Severe Economic Hardship or an Internship with an International Organization: In these special cases, the Immigration and Naturalization Service may grant employment authorization for a student who can prove unexpected economic hardship or obtains a special internship with an organization which has international status in the U.S. If you think you may be eligible under either of these special circumstances, please contact the Coordinator of International Student Services.

Under no other circumstances should an F-1 student accept off-campus work for pay outside of the above categories.

Volunteer Work: Any international student is eligible to volunteer (this is, work without pay) while in the U.S. Yet it is important to note that as a volunteer, you are not able to accept any money or gifts, however small, in exchange for your work. If you do, and have not been granted authorization to work, you will have been working illegally, which can seriously affect your current immigration status and your ability to change status in the future.

If you work a job on campus for pay, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number. In order to do so you will need to secure two letters before going to the Social Security Administration office.

  • A letter of offer from your employer on letterhead stating the job you will be hired for, the number of hours you will be hired for and your salary
  • A letter from International Education stating that you are in legal F-1 or J-1 status

Once you have these letters you can go to the Social Security Administration office in Salem to apply. You will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • Social Security Application
  • Passport
  • I-20/DS-2019 form
  • Visa (in your passport)
  • I-94 card (small white card stapled in your passport)
  • Letter from your employer
  • Letter from Office of International Education

It takes approximately 2-4 weeks to receive your new Social Security card after you apply. Remember to ask for a letter confirming that you have applied from the office. The Salem Social Security Administration office is located at 10 Federal St. Suite 406 Salem, MA. Check the SSA website for current hours of operation. The commuter rail Salem stop is within walking distance to the office.


Whether or not you worked or earned any income in the U.S., tax regulations require you to file a tax return each spring with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It is your responsibility to understand the requirements and file the appropriate returns in a timely manner.

International Education does not serve as a tax consultant and cannot advise you on individual tax questions. However, a limited number of tax forms are available through our office and we will sponsor periodic workshops to assist you in complying with tax regulations. You can also look for help and download forms from the IRS Homepage.

Print Friendly and PDF