Links and Contacts

Graduating International Students

Mariana Graduates  Inigo Graduates!

Congratulations 2016 Graduates!

Graduating International Students

 Are you graduating this semester? Congratulations!

Commencement Activities

We hope your family and friends will join you in celebrating this momentous occasion as you graduate from Endicott College. Please visit the Commencement homepage for all the most up to date information about this year’s ceremonies.

One event we hope you will bring your family and friends to is the International Reception. The International Reception is a celebration for all the graduating international students, study abroad participants, Global Ambassadors, and their family and friends. This year, the International Reception will be held on Friday, May 20, 2016 at 5:30 PM at Misselwood House. Please contact the Office of International Education for more details. We hope to see you there!

Students and Families at International Reception

International Students and Family members at the International Reception at Misselwood House

Inviting Family to the U.S. for Commencement

Your family may need to apply for a B1/B2 tourist visa to travel to attend Commencement. To apply for this type of visa they will need to show the Consulate that: 

1.    Their visit to the US is only temporary. - For this, you may want to send them a letter from Endicott inviting them to the Commencement with specific dates. If you wish to do this, please fill out and send the Office of International Education a request for a letter of invitation for each member of your family.

2.    They have enough money to fund their trip. - Current bank statements are suggested for this criteria.

3.    They have a residence outside of the US that they intend to return. - Evidence of a job, home ownership, or other strong ties to the community will help.


Immigration Options

As an F-1/J-1 visa student, you have a few different options available to you as a next step after you receive your diploma.

1.    Apply for work permission.

      As a visa student, you have the right to work in the United States after your degree program is complete. F-1 students have the opportunity to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for 12 months of employment. J-1 students have the opportunity to apply for Academic Training (AT) for up to 18 months of employment.  


J-1 AT

2.    Apply for graduate school and change your degree level.

      If you decide to continue your education and attend graduate school at Endicott, your I-20 or DS-2019 form can be changed to new degree level. If you decide to continue on to a program at a different institution, you can have your SEVIS record transferred to that school. Please bring your acceptance letter to the International Student Advisor to learn more about completing these processes. Your degree level must be changed or your transfer must be released within 60 days after completing your current degree program (F-1), or by the end date on your DS-2019 (J-1).


3.    Return home.

      If you decide to return home after graduation, you will have a grace period of 60 days (F-1) or 30 days (J-1) to leave the United States after completing your program. During this time, you may not work or take courses towards another degree. You may, however, take informal classes, such as a cooking class.  Once you leave the U.S. after completing your program, you cannot return in F-1 or J-1 status unless you intend to start a new program and have been issued a new I-20 or DS-2019.

F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training: Immigration Regulations allow F-1 students to complete a total of 12 months of Optional Practical Training while in F-1 student status. Optional Practical Training is designed to provide you with an opportunity to gain actual employment experience in your chosen profession. The employment must be related to your field of study and commensurate with your skills and educational level. Many international students at Endicott have used this option to gain valuable work experience after graduation.

Permission for Optional Practical Training is granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) at the recommendation of the International Student Services Advisor. Applications may take USCIS up to 90 days to process and you may NOT start work until you receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Students in their last semester at Endicott who are interested in applying for employment authorization after graduation should make an appointment with the International Student Services Advisor early in the semester. Any student with questions about off-campus employment is encouraged to contact the International Student Services Advisor.

You will be eligible to apply for OPT beginning 90 days before your program end date. For example, if your end date is May 31, 2016, you may begin the application process on March 1, 2016. It is recommended that you apply early since it can take up to 90 days for your OPT to be granted.  An OPT application must be requested by the 60th day after program completion.

Download an OPT application

J-1 Academic Training (AT)

Academic Training: Academic Training is the work permission category for J-1 students and should be used for both internships and for post graduation employment. Permission for Academic Training is authorized by the International Student Services Advisor. You must present a job offer to the International Student Services Advisor with 30 days after you complete your studies in order for permission to be printed on your DS-2019.

Download an AT application

Print Friendly and PDF