Links and Contacts

F-1/J-1 International Students Participating in Internships in the United States

For all students in F-1 or J-1 status, internships completed in the United States that are a required component of your academic program need to be reported and authorized by the Office of International Education through the SEVIS system. For F-1 students, this is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT). For J-1 students, this is called Academic Training (AT).


In order to be granted CPT or AT for your internship in the United States, you must bring the following documents to the International Student Advisor: 

  • Your completed and approved internship proposal 
  • An offer letter from your internship supervisor at your internship site that includes the address of the internship, the dates of the internship and your supervisor’s name and telephone number. 
  • For F-1 students: Completed Endicott College CPT Request Form.
  • For J-1 students: Completed Endicott College AT Request Form.

Once you submit all your documents, the CPT or AT permission will be entered into SEVIS and printed on your I-20 or DS-2019.

CPT and AT are only valid for those dates printed on the I-20 or DS-2019 and are required for any internship in the United States, short or long, paid or unpaid. DO NOT BEGIN YOUR INTERNSHIP UNTIL THE CPT OR AT IS PRINTED ON YOUR DOCUMENTS.

Print Friendly and PDF