Verification is the process of confirming the accuracy of data that is provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Verification, if required, is performed prior to the awarding of any financial aid.
If your FAFSA is selected for Verification, the College is required to collect documentation to check the accuracy of the information. Verification of the FAFSA is a federal regulation. Being selected for Verification does not mean you have done anything wrong; instead, it ensures that eligible students receive all of the aid for which they are qualified.
A student's FAFSA can be selected for Verification in two ways:
- The Central Processing System (CPS), a federal system, selects a certain number of FAFSAs for Verification during the processing stage, either randomly or based upon pre-determined edit criteria. These applications are required to be verified by our Financial Aid Office.
- The Financial Aid Office may also select applications for Verification independently from the CPS. FAFSAs may be selected for Verification based upon criteria such as family income/asset levels, number in family/college, and significant changes in an individual student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from year to year, to name a few.
Revising Your FAFSA
The Financial Aid Office electronically submits changes made to the FAFSA as a result of Verification to the CPS, so that an official Expected Family Contribution can be recalculated. The revised FAFSA and resulting EFC is then sent to both the student and the College. The student can then be awarded aid based upon the official, corrected EFC.
NOTE: The Endicott Financial Aid Office will always resolve conflicting information, regardless of whether the applicant is selected for Verification or not.
In cases of suspected fraud or other criminal misconduct in connection with the FAFSA, the College will contact the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General.
When selected for Verification, the following forms are required:
- Verification Worksheet 2018-2019
- Copies of Student's and Parent(s)' W-2s (If did not work, please note on Verification Worksheet)
- A copy of student's and parent(s)' official IRS Tax Transcripts (Due to recent changes in the federal verification process, Endicott cannot accept photocopies of tax returns). If did not file taxes, please note on Verification Worksheet. To request an Official IRS Tax Transcript, please call 800-908-9946 or visit Ordering Transcripts to order a transcript online. Alternatively, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool via the FAFSA can be used to transfer your tax information directly to the FAFSA. For step by step instructions on using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, please click Data Retrieval Tool Instructions.
- An IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter/Transcript if parent(s) did not work or if parent(s) worked but were not required to file a U.S. Income Tax Return. To order the Non-filing Letter/Transcript, please visit Ordering Non-Filing Letter/Transcript. If for any reason you have difficulty ordering the letter/transcript online, please request it by mail by completing Form 4506-T.