The Graduate Assistant (GA) position is a unique part-time, live-on professional position within the Office of Residence Life with a firm start date of August 5, 2019. The GA will be directly supervised by the Residence Director or Area Director of the area they serve, with oversight provided by an Assistant Director.
Graduate Assistants will complete weekly office hours and assist with projects including but not limited to: large scale programming, assessment, RA training, RA selection, Housing Selection, Hall Council, housing operations, RHA, office coverage, serving in an on-call rotation, and other duties as assigned.
The GA will serve in one of the following buildings/areas: First Year Area, Graduate Housing, or Winthrop/Beacon. In these areas, the GA will report to the Residence or Area Director for building-specific responsibilities, including weekly staff meetings, ongoing development, programming, RA student staff supervision and resident student support and care.
● Bachelor’s degree required
● Acceptance and enrollment in an Endicott College Master’s program
● Strong oral and written communication skills
● Desire to work with and support students
● Previous experience living in a residence hall required
● Enthusiasm and creativity, particularly in implementing the programming model
● Ability to manage time and tasks to accomplish responsibilities in a timely manner
● Capacity to work both independently (project areas) and on a team (duty, in-hall staff)
● Receptive to feedback and able to maintain positive professional relationships
● Ability to work with a diverse population including students, staff, faculty and parents
● Intermediate understanding of Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Google apps necessary
Required Dates: All Graduate Assistants are required to attend all opening and closing periods, trainings, and staff meetings relating to the GA position. Graduate Assistants are to refrain from making any commitments that will interfere with attendance at the following:
● Professional Staff Training: August 5, 2019 through August 23, 2019
● Fall RA Move In: Thursday, August 22, 2019: 10am-3pm. Official Welcome Dinner at 4:30pm
● Fall RA Training: Friday, August 23, 2019 – Thursday, August 29, 2019
● Fall Student Move-Ins: Friday, August 30th thru Monday, September 2, 2019
● Winter RA Training: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 thru opening on Sunday, January 26, 2020
● RA Selection Days: Sunday, February 9, 2020 from 1pm-5pm; Tuesday, February 11 and Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 5pm-7pm
● Van Loan Commencement: Thursday, May 21, 2020 (excused if the GA is graduating)
● Undergraduate Commencement: Saturday, May 23, 2020
● Monthly in-services: first Tuesday of every month, 8-9pm
● Weekly area staff meetings: date/time will be established by Residence Director/Area Director and RA staff
● Attend any required meetings and trainings relating to the GA position. Refrain from making any commitments that will interfere with attendance at these meetings.
● Weekly one-on-one meetings with GA’s supervisor
● Critical/Emergency meetings called as needed
● Participate in the opening and closing of residence halls. GAs are required to stay until their halls are fully closed. GA’s should plan to leave no earlier than 7pm and be prepared to stay until 9pm. The residence halls will close for the following breaks:
● Thanksgiving Break Closing: Friday, November 22, 2019
● Winter Break Closing: Thursday, December 19, 2019
● Spring Break Closing: Friday, March 13, 2020
● All End of Year Closing and Senior Week Duties through the completion of Senior Area Closing on Saturday, May 23, 2020
● Remain on campus and assume responsibilities on the following events and weekends: Opening Weeks/Weekends, Homecoming, Accepted Students Day, Spring Weekend, and other times as needed.