The Director of Media Relations at Endicott College cultivates and manages relationships with media reps daily and drives media relations efforts through execution of a strategic media relations plan, including discovering feature and news stories and pitching those stories to the media. This position will serve as a backup College spokesperson for the VP of Marketing and Communications and will work in tandem with the VP in overseeing communications to the media, including preparing articles, press kits, press releases and other content initiatives. This position will work closely with senior Endicott College leaders to develop and execute media relations strategies that help shape issues in higher education, nationally, regionally and locally and will collaborate with reporters and opinion writers from media outlets to generate coverage of Endicott College on key higher education issues.
1. Cultivate, enhance, and manage working relationships with the press and publicity community and the effectiveness of the media relations function at Endicott College
2. Develop and implement strategies for increasing and targeting reach, awareness and impact of identified Endicott College stories, staff, faculty, and the College’s President.
3. Identify opportunities to inject the college’s perspective into the higher education conversation
4. Gather, disseminate, and manage the timely flow of news about Endicott College to the media around key issues
5. Develop relationships with national, regional, and local press contacts to ensure the College’s reputation is promoted
6. Plan and oversee press events
7. Detect public relations issues as they emerge and assist College administration in addressing them
8. Research and write, edit, and compose briefing materials and assemble press kits
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
• The Director of Media Relations will join the College Communications and Marketing (CCM) department as a member of the CCM leadership team where the successful candidate will collaborate with the CCM vice president, executive director of marketing integration, art director, marketing director and their teams to shape the direction of the CCM team while advancing the organization’s larger goals.
• An important role of the successful candidate will be to develop and strengthen relationships with degree program, in-industry communications and media relations professionals as well as reporters and news outlets locally, regionally, and nationally.
• The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced, quick-turnaround environment; excels at juggling multiple responsibilities and meeting deadlines while maintaining focus on long-term goals and strategies; and has excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively as part of a diverse team.
• Bachelor’ degree in an appropriate field required; Master’s degree preferred.
• Strong understanding of and experience with marketing techniques, preferably in a higher education setting (2-4 years experience).
• Excellent writing skills in various marketing formats.
• Strong technical skills, preferably with web management systems, graphic design programs, and Excel.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Able to work well independently and take initiative on new projects.
• Ability to manage multiple initiatives at once.
• Commitment to excellence.
• Ability to work well with a diversity of personalities.
• Must be able to work evening and weekend hours as needed and assigned; must have a car and a valid Massachusetts driver’s license and travel as assigned.