Gianluca Caterina, Associate Professor
School of Arts & Sciences
Office Location: Judge Science Center
Office Number: 311
Office Hours: TBA
Mth 326 Advanced Statistics
Mth 205 The Mathematics of Music (NEW! Fall 2010)
Mth 126 Applied Statistics
Mth 115 Perspective in Geometry
Mth 135 Calculus
Mth 210 Mathematical Reasoning
Mth 112 Mathematical Problem Solving
Phy 109 Introduction to Astronomy
Ph.D. in Mathematics - Tufts University Department of Mathematics 2007
M.A. in Mathematics - Tufts University Department of Mathematics 2003
B.S. in Mathematics - University of Salerno (Italy) 1997
TEACHING AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics Endicott College 2008-present
- Postdoctoral Teaching Associate Northeaestern University 2007-2008
- Lecturer in Mathematics Tufts University 2006-2007
- Financial Adviser Italian Government 1996-2001
International Committee Elected Member (2009/10) Involvement in the activities of the Math Club at Endicott Support the work of the tutors at Endicott
• An order-preserving property of additive invariants for Takesue-type reversible cellular automata. Published on Theoretical Computer Science, 2010.
• Consequences of a Diagrammatic Representation of Paul Cohen’s Forcing Technique based on C.S. Peirce’s Existential Graphs. Accepted for publication in the volume “Model Based Reasoning in Science and Technology: Abduction, Logic and Computational Discovery”, Magnani, Carnielli and Pizzi editors. Springer, Heidelberg (Berlin), forthcoming in 2010.
• A “No-Go” Theorem for the Existence of an Action Principle for Discrete Invertible Dynamical Systems. Published on Physica A, 2008.
• Integration on fuzzy subsets of the unit circle. Published on Rendiconti di Matematica, 2008.
• Least Action Principles and Additive Invariants for a Class of Reversible Cellular Automata. Ph.D. Dissertation, Tufts University, 2007.
CONFERENCES ATTENDED AS A SPEAKER
• DSFD 2010: 19th Discrete Simulation of Fluid Dynamics Rome (Italy), July 2010
• Mathfest 2010 Pittsburgh, August 2010
• Model Based Reasoning ’09 Campinas (Brazil), December 2009
• Mathfest 2009 Portland, August 2009
• DSFD 2007: 16th Discrete Simulation of Fluid Dynamics Banff(Canada), July 2007
• Dynamics Days 2007 Boston, January 2007